A new study might have a few meat eaters taking a second look at going veg. Researchers have proven that chickens experience empathy which allows them to experience the emotions of those around them.
In the experiments, chicks blasted with small puffs of air showed signs of distress. When adult hens saw the distressed chicks, their heart rates increased and their body language mirrored the distress.
If chickens are able to empathize with chicks on this minor level, think about what they must experience on a factory farm.
If we know that chickens feel empathy toward each other, it is plausible then to assume that chickens would be able to feel empathy toward us if we were being harmed. If then, why is it so hard for us to empathize with them?
- You check your phone, because you have nothing to contribute to the conversation.
- Wait for the right time to say something, you get interrupted. Twice.
- Someone you vaguely know is walking in front of you. You maintain distance.
- Hold the door for some. They’re slightly too far away.
- Someone comes online, you say “hey”, they go offline.
- You go in for the high-five. Other person isn’t looking.
- Accidentally look someone in the eye. Pretend to look past them.
- You say something stupid. You play it down, but everyone sees your face going red.
- You say “hi” to someone. It comes out as a whisper.
- Your friends formed a circle while you were gone. You can’t fit and end up standing slightly askew.
- Waiting by yourself for friends. Pretend you’re texting.
- You tell a hilarious joke. Nobody laughs.
- You’re in class and you want to cough. Some other person just coughed, now you have to wait.
- Walk into the restrooms and the stalls are full; pretend you only came here to wash your hands then leave.
- The person in front is walking slightly slower than you are. You walk at an uncomfortable speed to get past them.
- Getting ready to go get a tissue in class, and someone just got up and grabbed a tissue so you have to sit back down.
- When someone’s phone rings and you check yours, and they give you a weird look because its not even your ring tone.
i have a bad temper. for the most part i don’t like people. i’m easy to get along with. i have more enemies than friends. i’ve smoked. i’ve smoked weed. i drink coffee. i clean my room daily.
i wear makeup. i wear a piece of jewelry at all times. i wear contacts. i wear glasses i have braces. i change my hair colour often. i straighten my hair often. i have a piercing. i have small feet
i’ve missed an ex before. i’m always scared of being hurt. an ex has physically abused me at least once. i’ve told someone i loved them when i didn’t. i’ve told someone i didn’t love them when i did. i’ve been in love more than two times. i believe in love at first sight. i believe lust is more important than love.
i have a best friend. i have at least ten friends. i’ve gotten a phone call in the last 48 hours from a friend. i’ve beaten up a friend. i’ve been in a serious fight with a friend. i can trust at least five people with my life.
i’ve been on a plane. i’ve been on a train. someone close to me has died. i’ve taken a taxi. i’ve taken a city bus. i’ve taken a school bus. i’ve gone bungee jumping. i’ve made a speech. i’ve been in some sort of club. i’ve won an award. i’ve spent 24 hours on the computer straight. i’ve been in a physical fight.
i listen to r&b. i listen to country. i listen to pop. i listen to techno i listen to rock. i’m one of those people who play songs repeatedly until i hate it. i hate the radio. i download music. i buy cd’s.
i spend at least six hours a day watching television. i watch soap operas daily. i’m in love with days of our lives. i’ve seen and liked the o.c. i’ve seen and liked one tree hill. i’ve seen and like americas next top model. i’ve seen and like popular. i’ve seen and like 24. i’ve seen and like csi. i’ve seen and like everwood.
i get along with both of my parents. my biological parents are still together. i have at least one brother. i have at least one sister. i have at least one step brother/sister. i have at least one half brother/sister. i’ve been kicked out of the house. i’ve ran away from my home. i’ve sworn at my parents. i’ve made my parents cry. i’ve lied to my parents. i’ve lied to my parents about where i am. i’ve lied to my parents about what i’m doing. i’ve lied to my parents so i’d be allowed out. i’ve walked out when i’ve been grounded.
i am blonde. i’ve had streaks. i’ve cut my hair in the past year. i’ve dyed my hair in the past year. i’ve been blonde. i’ve had black. i’ve been red. i’ve been light brown. i’ve been medium brown. i’ve been blue/green. i’ve gotten my hair thinned. i use conditioner. i’ve used silk therapy. i’ve used hot oil treatments. i’ve curled my hair. i’ve straightened my hair. i’ve ironed my hair. i’ve braided my hair.
i’ve yelled at a teacher. i’ve been suspended. i’ve had an in-school suspension. i’ve been sent to the principals office. i’ve walked out of class. i’ve skipped an entire day of school. i’ve skipped a whole month of one certain class. i’ve failed a test. i’ve cheated on a test. i’ve helped someone else cheat on a test. i’ve failed art. i’ve failed p.e. i’ve failed math. i’ve failed science. i’ve failed another class. a teacher has called my parents.